Remember The Milk is 8 years old. Roughly the same age as the Xbox 360, Gmail, Facebook and YouTube. It’s older than Twitter, the iPhone and tablets. It was my first electronic to-do list and it used to hold everything I thought was important to remember. I even moved house using Remember The Milk to organize and plan the entire process. I haven’t used a to-do list much in recent years, instead relying on Google calendar’s task function, but I started a complex large project this week with four collaborators and suddenly needed a good app to get on task and stay focused whilst working within a decent time frame.
I had a look at the best rated and most recommended cross-platform apps, but returned to Remember The Milk. I could share different lists with different people without having to ask them to purchase a pro version, everyone can add tasks and complete tasks and it cloud syncs once every 24 hours (instant sync is a pro feature), which allows enough time for those contributing (it is usually only one person per day) to check their tasks, for me to have a quick look at progress and rearrange tomorrow’s priorities in time for tomorrow’s collaborator to have a fresh list of tasks.
- Cross-platform: Android, iOS and PC and Mac (web based)
- Integration: Extensions for Gmail and Google Calendar and syncs with Evernote and Outlook
- Multiple input options: Can add tasks via email, Twitter and Siri and the FARR Remember The Milk Plugin adds extensive keyboard commands, making it easy to use just the keyboard.
- One sync for the mobile apps every 24 hours
- Supports multiple users: I can create as many to-do lists as I like and share them with other RTM users.
- Four priority levels for tasks (high, medium, low, none)
- Add deadlines and due dates as well as estimated time to complete the tasks
- Create repeats for regular tasks, including daily, weekly, fortnightly, monthly as well as every first Tuesday of the month etc.
A complete list of official apps as well as featured third party apps are available here.
Pro accounts are $25 (£15) per year and add the following features in addition to the above:
- Unlimited sync with RTM online
- Push notifications on reminders
- Badges and widgets on your mobile device, so you always know how many tasks are due
- Sync with Microsoft Outlook
- Double votes when you vote on product ideas
- Early access to new features
- Priority support vie email
Organizational apps, task managers and to-do lists have thrived in today’s mobile culture. Remember The Milk is not the prettiest on the market, but it is a cross-platform app that does everything I want it to do just the way I want it. I can add priorities, deadlines and time estimates to tasks and access it all from my Android phone, iPad, PC and laptop. Even better, I can integrate it with Google Calendar and Evernote, two applications I use extensively. Eight years later and the slightly obscure web app I knew then has grown and now has 5 million users. Eight years later and I am still a fan.