It can be difficult to find a healthier granola and even harder to find a healthy gluten-free nut-free version. This is more a formula than a recipe and I would highly recommend experimenting with quantity and type of ingredients yourself to discover your own favourite versions.
Preparation time: 10 minutes
Cooking time: 20 minutes
Clean-up time: 5 – 10 minutes
Skill level: Intermediate (a regular in the kitchen)
1 cup rolled oats, use certified gluten-free if you are avoiding gluten.
30 ml (2 tablespoons) apple sauce (make your own).
Sweetener: sugar, honey, agave nectar, golden syrup or peanut butter
Spices: cinnamon, extracts (vanilla, nut, coconut), ginger
Raisins, dried fruit, nuts, dessicated coconut, pumpkin, sunflower and other seeds.
1. Pre-heat oven to 160°C/140°C (fan)/gas mark 3.
2. Mix the oats and apple sauce in a mixing bowl. Add enough liquid to make the oats clump together. We add about 1 tablespoon per cup of oats.
3. Add sweeteners and/or spices.
4. Spread out on a baking tray and roast for 10 minutes.
5. Add seeds (optional extra), turn granola and roast for another 10 minutes until brown and toasted.
6. Leave to cool and then add raisins and dried fruit.
Storage: Keep in an air-tight sealed container and use within 5 – 7 days. If stored in the fridge, it should be good for about 2 weeks.
This recipe was made in the Ergohacks Kitchen. Click to read more about our access icons used in this review. It was first published on 16 March 2014 and last updated on 20 April 2016.