One of the primary qualities we taken into account when recommending a product is how environmentally friendly a product is. We are not eco-experts, we do not carry out investigations or independent testing and we do not award any accreditation to a company’s environmental status. We are consumers of every day products and we make use of public information available to the public to form our personal, subjective opinion on a whether we think a company is contributing a more environmentally friendly way of living.
The type of things we look at:
- Cradle-to-cradle design
- Using recycled and recyclable materials where possible
- Sustainable sourcing and practices
- Company wide eco-friendly practices: reducing the use of water and electricity, reducing waste and employing recycling
- Eco-friendly awards, standard and certifications achieved
- Animal welfare and wellbeing
- Carbon emissions
- Habitat protection
- Made from biodegradable material
- Minimizing waste
We award our Eco Icon to businesses that have obviously embraced an environmentally friendly ethos and do their part to not only minimize any negative impact on the environment, but actively strive to make positive contributions.