We spend almost a third of our lives asleep. That is the theory, but most of us fall far short of how much sleep we should be getting. We wake up, toss and turn, throw off hot covers, pull up more covers and those eight hours a night is an elusive dream. There are many aspects to a good night’s sleep, but comfort and temperature are two of the most important ones.
The Wool Room’s Alpaca duvet and mattress topper creates a luxurious insulated pocket to sleep in. The insulating properties of Alpaca and wool keeps it warm on cold nights and cool on hot nights. The natural, breathable fibres helps with body temperature regulation and makes night sweats less of a problem. The soft luxurious texture is evident through the organic cotton its encased in and whilst making up my bed for the first time, I found myself already anticipating falling asleep.
50% Alpaca + 50% wool
The Wool Room’s Alpaca duvet and mattress enhancer is filled with an even combination of Alpaca and British wool. The difference between similar quality Alpaca and sheep’s wool is that Alpaca fiber has a glossy shine, higher textile strength and a different, smoother scale surface that makes it softer.
Alpaca and fleece wool are both sustainable, renewable and biodegradable. The Wool Room’s bedding also uses 100% 300 thread organic cotton to encase the wool.
Allergy UK Seal of Approval
Alpaca and wool are both excellent bedding choices for asthmatics and dust mite allergy sufferers. Dust mites thrive in warm, dank, dark places and wool creates a dry and airy environment that is not conducive to house dust mites. Wool is also a natural, breathable fabric, an excellent quality for asthmatics who may have chemical triggers and breathable is always a plus.
Alpaca and wool are both hypoallergenic products. A “wool allergy” is not actually an allergy to wool, but a reaction to lanolin, wool grease, that is secreted by the skin and mixed into the wool. All sheep’s wool at The Wool Room is washed to remove lanolin. Alpaca wool does not contain lanolin.
Wool is difficult to ignite and does not normally sustain a flame. I prefer bedding that is naturally fire-retardant and wool certainly is.
Alpaca bedding does generally have a higher price point than synthetic, feather and down duvets. Weigh up the benefits, particularly if you have asthma or a dust mite allergy when deciding whether it is worth the cost. Alpaca and wool duvets are durable and The Wool Room’s high quality products even more so. Buying a quality product that will last is often more cost effective than buying a budget product that will need to be replaced frequently.
Sizes: Single, double, king and super king
Filling: 50% British Alpaca + 50% British wool
Warmth: Light, 200gsm(3-5 tog), Medium 300gsm (6-9 tog approx), Warm 300gsm (11 – 14 tog), All season 200 – 500gsm (3 – 14 tog)
Cover: 100% 300 thread count organic cotton
Construction: Sewn in framed quilt construction
Washing: Dry clean only. Air and shake regularly.
Dry clean only.
Health and Accessibility
There are many reasons we don’t sleep well. Insomnia, frequent waking, restless legs, restless nights, chronic pain, stress, worry, depression and many medical conditions can all disrupt sleep. Improving sleep is a package deal, it requires good habits and an environment that promotes sleep. Investing in a duvet and/or mattress enhancer is an important step in the process.
I would probably put it high on the list for anyone like me who experiences sleep disruption as a result of things that a luxurious Alpaca duvet could improve. Look at the natural properties of the fabric and it’s easy to spot who will see the biggest improvements:
- Night sweats: I experience periodic night sweats and in three weeks, I haven’t had any. Even better, my husband who is always too hot under my blanket requirement has not overheated once. Waking up in a dry bed, or even better, not waking up in a pool of sweat, either your own or your partner’s, is excellent.
- Cold and cold feet: I wake up most winter nights because my feet are so cold they ache. Despite experiencing some chilly winter nights in February, my feet didn’t get cold enough to wake me. In fact, I have done away with a heat pack at my feet whilst I sleep as it is no longer required.
- Hot sleepers: Everyone is different. My body temperature drops when I sleep and I am always cold even on the warmest summer nights whilst on the other half of the bed my husband is like a glowing furnace, even on the coldest nights of the year. Wool is warm, but it is also breathable, allowing a comfortable sleeping zone for a range of body temperatures.
- Lightweight: I experience restless legs, leg pain and circulation issues and the weight of a heavy duvet is enough to give me tingling sensations. The light weight Alpaca makes it easy to move and turn over in bed. It also makes it easier to pull a stray duvet into position at night with very little effort.
Alpaca and wool are quiet, light and soft. It does not make any noise and it is odourless. New wool and therefore new products have an extremely mild ‘sheep’ smell, which those with a hypersensitivity to smell may find off-putting, but this dissipates within a week. If it is a problem, air it for a few days before putting it on.
There is no direct skin contact with the wool or even the organic cotton case as the duvet is made to fit inside a duvet cover and the mattress topper underneath the base sheet. The Alpaca duvet and mattress enhancer should not cause any skin issues for anyone with a skin allergy, sensitive skin or sensory processing disorder.
The Alpaca Duvet and mattress enhancer is an excellent choice for anyone with asthma, allergies, eczema or sensitive skin.
Lanolin allergy, also colloquially known as a wool allergy, should not be a problem as the wool used is fully encased in organic cotton and it is washed to remove all lanolin before use.
Ease of Use
Easy to use standard duvet. Dry clean only.
Manufacturer: The Wool Room
Price: £87.99 – £379.99
Retailer: The Wool Room Alpaca
Included In The Box
- Duvet inside a zipped calico bag
- Mattress enhancer inside a zipped calico bag
The Alpaca duvet and mattress enhancer create a natural, warm, breathable, cosy, luxurious space in which a good night’s sleep becomes much easier to achieve. We always underestimate the value of sleep and by doing so, can neglect the places where we sleep, then wonder why it is that we aren’t sleeping well. The Wool Room’s products are obviously high quality and I would highly recommend both the Alpaca duvet and mattress enhancer to anyone who value their sleep quality.
The review is based on a King Size Alpaca + wool Duvet and mattress enhancer kindly provided by The Wool Room.